Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Little Disappointed…

So a few weeks ago I pinned this recipe and was so stinkin’ excited to try it!  It sounded so seriously delicious I couldn’t wait.  I finally got around to putting it in my weekly meal rotation last week.  It smelled so insanely good while it cooked that I thought for sure it would be my new favorite meal!  Fast forward 5 hours after I assembled it all and dumped it in the crock pot….womp womp womp….  It wasn’t as good as the hubs and I had hoped, but I still want to try it again with a few changes.   I took some pictures while I made it, so here ya go..
For Angel Chicken you will need:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds)
1 8-oz. pkg. fresh button mushrooms, quartered
1 6-oz. pkg. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
1/4 cup butter
1 0.7-oz. pkg. Italian dry salad dressing mix
1 10-3/4-oz. can condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 of an 8-oz. tub cream cheese spread with chives and onion
Hot cooked rice or angel hair pasta

IMG_1208
Now you may notice that I’m using all white mushrooms, it’s because all they had at the store was white mushrooms and who really wants to go to 2 different stores, right?? Right.  Also, I’m using some old chardonnay that I’ve had hanging around for a few months.  The hubs questioned whether it was ok to use wine that old, and I assured him it CERTAINLY was.  So feel free to use some stanky old wine in your recipe too!  Kidding, kidding.
Ok, so first we melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan.  Once it’s melted we add in the packet of Italian seasoning.
IMG_1211
Add in your soup, wine and cream cheese and whisk together.  It looks pretty much like barf at this point, but it smells UH-MAY-ZING.
IMG_1213
Now, bust open your mushrooms and dump those bad boys down in the bottom of your crock pot.  I forgot to take pictures at this point, but it’s pretty simple.  Next, lay your chicken over top of the mushrooms in a nice, even layer.  Pour the cream cheese/wine/soup mixture over all of that, put on the lid and set it on low for 5 hours. 
IMG_1214
And this is how it looks five hours later!
IMG_1219
I wish you could smell this through the computer, it is truly heavenly.  Maybe that’s why it’s called Angel Chicken.. Duh, Megan.  Anywho, make some rice and plop some of everything on your plate and chow down! 
IMG_1221
IMG_1222
I’m still not sure what it’s missing, but maybe it needed more Italian seasoning??  Who knows, but I will surely try again.  If anyone has any suggestions of things that might give it that little extra ZIP, please let me know and if you make it yourself let me know how it turns out!  On a side note, that golden mushroom soup is wonderful.  I used it in another recipe this week and it really added some great flavor.
Thanks for stoppin’ by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a sweet little note to let us know what you think